Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Basement Project Day 1


MONDAY, OCTOBER 09, 2006
I love watching projects grow through pictures so I thought I'd share my latest project, finishing the basement. I plan to add a home theater, bar area, and small office about 750sq ft.

Here are my rough plans:


For starters, my dad and I noticed the entire stair case was nearly 3 inches crooked to the right from top to bottom. To fix this we screwed together two 2x4's and placed a car jack horrizontally against the cement wall and the stairs. After a few pumps the whole staircase moved and we re-secured it with cement screws into the foundation.


 Me, laughing at the ridiculousness of the stairs.

  The rest of the basement as yet to be conquered.


 I am using [URL=http://www.systemplaton.com/flooringprotection.html]platon[/URL] flooring system for my basement for two reasons: My dads basement has a raised floor and he almost never has to heat it in the winter, and in case of water damage it will protect the floor to a certain extent. 
 This stuff goes in so easy, cuts easy and the only bad part is you have to caulk the seams with some butyl rubber, other than that its a super cheap and awesome alternative to sytrafoam based or heating element based raise floors. The 3/4" tong and groove OSB goes right on top and the rest of the walls on top of that, its a free floating system designed to permit airflow. ~ $300 for my application

 After we got the stairs figured out, we put in a treated 2x4 to put our raise floor up against.



 Our tools and the like, stored in the unfinished side.
Day 1: Comes to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment